Monday, October 3, 2011

Paytem Jane at Tenerife Week Translation

Visit Tenerife Week to see the interview and all the pictures.


1. What were your first steps in music?
When I was 7, when I started writting songs and made gigs… At home. I told my brother and father to sit on the sofa and said: ‘You are the audience and you’re only two, so you have to plaudit so loud, so it seems there’s much more people!’ I used to sing everything, from Celine Dion to Fangoria, or my own songs, that were so dramatic. Mi dad used to press the piano pedal because I couldn’t, my legs were too small. I used to wear my mom’s lingerie that was too big for me, a boa and her jewels, I maked my lips up and my mic was pink and it didn’t seem too serious, I took a part of a chair, that was black with some crystals and it seemed more professional.

Some time before, I used to feel ashamed while reading my first songs, but now I understand. They’re really inspiring to me because I remember how I felt when I thought people were able to do whatever they wanted when they grew up.

My mom always said to me: ‘If you study, you’ll be able to be whatever you want’, and I believed it. I don’t understand why she’s so surprised now. I don’t want to think it was a lie so, now that I’m older, I do what I want! It’s great because, some way, they make me believe the worst is gone. I’m determined to follow those songs and live my life as I dreamt of.

Then, I started to feel interested by dancing and other music styles. Until I got to take some lessons. I used to sing all day long, went with older people dancing break, played with my uncle’s piano and I even started playing drums. It wasn’t until 2008 when I decided to leave everything for music, and since then, I’m happy.
2. How would you define your music?
It’s my biggest expression weapon. It makes me feel free and powerful, and that’s the reason why sometimes I don’t answer this question, because it depends on the day, I can be anything. I feel realy great doing rock, pop, dance or really dramatic ballads. I can’t take everything to the same place. I feel it, I take it out and then they say: ‘How do you want to put all this with the other stuff?’. So I put that songs as singles… and still waiting to reunite some material that could represent me… At least most of the time.

Now I’m finding my own style. Generally I want to release a potent and possitive, quite dramatic and sarcastic album. My music is authentic and genuine. BassOn always says my songs are white. He means they’re honest, it’s his ellegant way to say I’m rude.


3. What artists have influenced yourself?
Michael Jackson has inspired my whole life. I was born in 1985, so I’m realy fan of everything my parents used to play when we were on the car at that time: Bee Gees, Abba, Madonna, Roxette, Boney M., Springsteen, Fangoria, Cindy Lauper, Prince, Queen. .

Then I started to listen to rock music as AC/DC, Metallica or Foo Fighters, and 90’s, specially BackStreet Bous and groups that were on Super Pop. You know? I’m so upset now that they’ve closed that magazine, I used to dream with being on it!

And everything mixed up with my passion for jazz, zarzuela, blues and musicals. I’m really fan of ‘Chicago’, ‘Grease’, ‘Rent’, ‘Hair’, ‘Mamma Mia’, ‘Saturday Night Fever’…


4. Is image that important to have a musical career?
I think it’s important, but real, authentic, that expresses what you really are, that you feel comfortable and people respect you because they understand that it’s just you. Whan an artist has to wear something they don’t want, people notice it. Sometimes they try to let me know I should wear more clothes, as it what would make people respect me a little more, but I don’t feel ok with that. Truly, I’m like that, and I’ve always been. I’d feel ridiculous weating trousers and a shirt. I respect it, and I think it’s great for the ones that feel good like that, but I left fashion, now I’m not told what to wear.

Anyway, I think if there isn’t a good musical job, image doesn’t matter, because it won’t be ok. Try to keep a project in an image, it’s just a big mistake.


5. Other artists have confessed that Internet has made everyone equal. Do you really think the same?
Not exactly. I think it gives some kind of advantage to people who is starting or the ones that don’t have a big multinational supponrting behind, but obviously a big investment behind a discographical work, gives it a biggest stability and more chances for a project, so it’s not equal.

Anyway, there are different examples: there’s people that have done it really well by digital platforms, and there are many artists that couldn’t reach success none with digital platforms, neither with a multinational behind.

I personally only believe in good done job. I think this really put everyone in the same point because, at least, the audience chooses and Internet is a way to be heard. It really depends on the production. As everyting I like, mine is expensive.

Anyway, what I like about the Internet is the chance to keep in touch with the warriors. I don’t have much time but if I get into my blog, I always know they’re there. It’s great to know they’re always with me if I don’t forget the iPhone.


6. What can you tell us about your experience with Armani, Valentino, Versace, Schwarzkopf, L’Oreal?
It was great at that time… Sometimes. I love clothes, shoes, accessories, beauty products… But I prefer being a consumer than make the commercials.

It’s a hard and really competitive work. There’s a lot of great people, but also really evirl, and I never got to feel really well, specially because you cannot be yourself. I hate feeling like I’m wearing a costume. I think I was too sensitive to stand it and… Obviously I wasn’t always well. Anyway, I have never failed myself.

I enjoy a lot the photoshoots and I love the runways, but it was really hard. I wasn’t really confident about myself and being small in comparison with the other girls was humilliating, or they made it be like that. But, with flashes on, they dissapeared.

I also have to say I was very lucky about the professionals I have found in this way. For good or bad, fashion has marked me so much.


7. What has music and fashion in common?
 Maybe it seems they’re united because you have to make photoshoots, magazines, etc, but they have nothing in common.

In the photoshoots, I used to play part as women in that outfits. Now I’m myself and wear what I want! I have so much fun and do believe people can notice it. I’m very lucky because of the people that surrounds me because they respect me, understand me, support… We’re really united and that’s really important.

As a model, you travel a lot, but it’s not stable. I’m really familiar and missed a lot my people. Now I travel a lot more, but I’m always with them. I feel better like that.

What they both have in common is that the worse, for me, was de beginning. I don’t want this to me misinterpretated, I know I'm starting in music, but I mean the firt moments until you have your team. When you get to know people that are doing well in this job, you understand that the ones that last are the professionals, but you can find everything along the way. I’m not saying that all the ones that don’t get it aren’t professionals, but the ones that get there, they’re all. In music it’s easier to avoid, but anyway I believe I was very lucky about the people I’ve worked with. I have really good friends in both worlds.

My conversations with warrios are now much more exciting not. We have links, common feelings… I feel much more loved and our relationship is mores authentic.
Music is much complex and, despite my music is fashion, I do think fashion needs music, and music makes tendences.


8. What do you ask for future?
The chance to creat exactly the album I’ve always wanted and show it to a lot of people live. I mean, sing!


Tranlation by Paytem Jane Official FanClub

No comments:

Post a Comment